Translating the Emacs website

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Translating the Emacs website
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2024 04:33:05 +0000

It seems to me that before we start working on the manuals, a good
entry point could be the web site.

It would also be a nice way to properly introduce the fact that we have
a full-fledged localised tutorial inside Emacs (I know it is referenced
on the page, but there are probably other ways we can use its contents).

To go back to the discussion about using PO or not, it seems like the
GNU project web page translations use PO files:

https://www.gnu.org/server/standards/README.translations.html#tools

The tool that’s used to convert the files to PO is called GNUN
(GNUnited Nations):
https://www.gnu.org/software/trans-coord/manual/gnun/gnun.html

GNUN only works with HTML.

So the question is, how do we organise the Emacs page translation?
Should it be handled by the GNU Project translation teams?

There seems to be a lot of reference documents regarding web
translations:

Guide to Translating Web Pages on www.gnu.org
https://www.gnu.org/server/standards/README.translations.html

GNU Web Translators Manual
https://www.gnu.org/savannah-checkouts/gnu/trans-coord/manual/web-trans/html_node/index.html

How to Translate Using PO Files
https://www.gnu.org/server/standards/translations/po-how-to.html

Note: adding “/po/” does not seem to produce the right effect on the Emacs
pages:
https://www.gnu.org/savannah-checkouts/gnu/emacs/po/emacs.pot
does not exist.

Any  idea?