Re: Translating the Emacs website

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Translating the Emacs website
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2024 09:32:52 +0200

> Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2024 04:33:05 +0000
> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traductaire-libre.org>
> Cc: nicolas@petton.fr
>
> It seems to me that before we start working on the manuals, a good
> entry point could be the web site.
>
> It would also be a nice way to properly introduce the fact that we have
> a full-fledged localised tutorial inside Emacs (I know it is referenced
> on the page, but there are probably other ways we can use its contents).
>

> To go back to the discussion about using PO or not, it seems like the
> GNU project web page translations use PO files:
>
> https://www.gnu.org/server/standards/README.translations.html#tools
>
> The tool that’s used to convert the files to PO is called GNUN
> (GNUnited Nations):
> https://www.gnu.org/software/trans-coord/manual/gnun/gnun.html
>
> GNUN only works with HTML.
>
> So the question is, how do we organise the Emacs page translation?
> Should it be handled by the GNU Project translation teams?

I have no idea.

Please note that the Web pages get updated by the person who produces
the release tarballs (the details are in admin/make-tarball.txt), and
that person cannot be expected to be able to update the translations
as well.  So there's a significant problem here which needs to be
addressed before the idea of having the Web pages translated is
practical.  In particular, I don't think this should be something
added to the job of the Emacs maintainers, and we therefore need to
find some other ways of maintaining the translated Web pages and
keeping them up to date.