Re: [ELPA] new single file package: mpdired.el

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: [ELPA] new single file package: mpdired.el
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 17:29:25 +0000

Manuel Giraud <manuel@ledu-giraud.fr> writes:

> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> OK, this works.  If you have signed the CA, then you could set the
>> version of your package to some pre-release version, using a
>
> I don't know what "signed the CA" means in this context.

Contributing packages to GNU ELPA requires you to have signed the FSF
copyright assignment, see (info "(emacs) Copyright Assignment"), since
GNU ELPA packages are formally part of Emacs.  Assuming you haven't done
so yet, a maintainer can send you the form.

>>  ;; Version: 1.0-pre
>>
>> header, and as soon as you are ready to publish just remove the -pre and
>> the package will be automatically published + a new release will be made
>> any time to bump the header.
>
> Cool.  That is a great feature that I will be using (matching this
> Version header with git tags I guess).

Git tags aren't needed at all.  The ELPA build server relies entirely on
what the Version tag says.

>                                         Just to be sure I understand
> correctly: every version number with a -pre suffix won't update on ELPA?

Yes, more specifically any version which version-to-list can parse and
returns a version list without any negative elements:

  (version-to-list "1.0") ;=> (1 0)
  (version-to-list "1.0pre") ;=> (1 0 -1)
  (version-to-list "1.0git") ;=> (1 0 -4)

see `version-regexp-alist' and keep in mind that the ELPA build server
uses a few more extensions.

--
        Philip Kaludercic on peregrine