Re: [ELPA] new single file package: mpdired.el

From: Manuel Giraud
Subject: Re: [ELPA] new single file package: mpdired.el
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 12:17:56 +0100

Hi Philip,

First thanks for your all your inputs!

[...]

> In the end a Git repository will have to be created.  I don't think one
> should have to be ashamed of the commit history (most people won't
> care), but it is also fine to discard the current history and replace it
> with a fresh repository.

Ok.  Maybe I'll start with a fresh history if I feel like it.

> By default, we would like to mirror some external repository.  It
> doesn't have to be hosted by some large Git forge, just something that
> can be synchronised regularly.  The alternative to this would be to have
> a branch in elpa.git that would have to be manually updated (either by
> yourself if you get access to the repository, or by someone here on the
> mailing list with access that would see your message).  You can imagine
> that we want to avoid the latter setup, since it creates more
> friction.

Of course, I'd also like to avoid this latter setup.  Just to be sure,
you confirm that a git repo is unavoidable?  Could it be a just tarball
available on web server?

> From experience, it is usually helpful to have a Git repository with
> multiple files, for files like a README or an .elpaignore file or if you
> decide to split up the file into multiple files at some point.

Yes, you're right maybe I'd like to add a texinfo later for instance.

> If you dislike Github, you could also take a look at Sourcehut or
> Codeberg for hosting.

Ok.  If a git forge is mandatory, I'll ponder which one I'd prefer to
use.

>> Anyway for the braves and curious, here is the current version of this
>> package.  It is called MPDired and is yet another client to Music Player
>> Daemon.  It features a Dired-like user interface.  Previously I was a
>> Mingus user so MPDired might have some legacy to it.
>
> Here some comments

For the rest of your comments inline, I'll just ask on those I don't
understand.

[...]

>>   "n"      #'mpdired-next-line
>>   "<down>" #'mpdired-next-line
>
> Perhaps one could also rebind a few commands here, like `next-line'.

I don't understand what you mean here.

[...]

>> (defun mpdired-change-marks (&optional old new)
>>   "Changes mark from OLD to NEW.  It asks the user for OLD and NEW."
>>   (interactive
>>    (let* ((cursor-in-echo-area t)
>>        (old (progn (message "Change (old mark): ") (read-char)))
>>        (new (progn (message  "Change %c marks to (new mark): " old)
>>                    (read-char))))
>
> Why not use read-char's PROMPT argument?

I did not know about it and it is copy-pasto from dired ;-)

Thanks.
--
Manuel Giraud