Re: I created a faster JSON parser

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: I created a faster JSON parser
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 08:31:25 +0200

> Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 15:37:25 -0500
> From: Christopher Wellons <wellons@nullprogram.com>
> Cc: "emacs-devel@gnu.org" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> Despite the obvious care which with this was written, I personally would
> not adopt a JSON parser that had not been thoroughly fuzz tested under
> Address Sanitizer and Undefined Behavior Sanitizer. Fuzzing is incredibly
> effective at finding defects, and it would be foolish not to use it in its
> ideal circumstances. Normally it's not difficult and requires only a few
> lines of code. But this JSON parser is tightly coupled with the Emacs Lisp
> runtime, which greatly complicates things. I couldn't simply pluck it out
> by itself and drop it in, say, AFL++.

That's okay, we can start by making this an optional feature, and
consider making it the default after a couple of major releases;
meanwhile, any problems will be detected and reported.

However, it would make much more sense to consider switching to this
code if it also could handle producing JSON output, thus making
libjansson unnecessary when we decide to switch.