Re: master c86995d07e9: Enable code block evaluation when generating .or

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: master c86995d07e9: Enable code block evaluation when generating .org manuals
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2024 18:45:15 +0000

>>> Does it really need to generated automatically on every build, or can it
>>> be handled in some other way?  For example, we pre-generate our loaddefs
>>> files and commit the result.
>>
>> Preferably, every build, I think.
>>
>> What we do in Org mode manual is examining an Elisp variable and build a
>> table summarizing its values. If that variable changes in the code, the
>> manual should reflect this change.
>
> Right, but the same is true for our loaddefs files (you want them
> up-to-date, or you get warnings, etc.), and even for them it's been
> enough to have a cronjob regenerate and commit them once per month.
>
> So I think my question still stands.

It is certainly possible. We would need to run pre-processing and then
generate the final manuals from yet another intermediate pre-processed
.org file. However, I am not sure why would we need to bother with such
extra work. What would be the benefit?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,