Re: eshell-batch-file

From: Jim Porter
Subject: Re: eshell-batch-file
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2024 11:55:22 -0700

On 6/8/2024 11:11 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Is eshell-batch-file supposed to work on MS-Windows?  Its
implementation seems to be full of Unix-isms, so maybe it isn't
supposed to work?  If it is supposed to work, can you describe its
internal workings, so I could take a look?

I think it should work on MS-Windows, although MS-Windows users would need to configure things differently. (Users should be able to set up a file association handler for ".esh" files that calls Emacs with with the right arguments.)

If you do the following on the command line, do things work?

    echo "echo hello" > script.esh
    emacs --batch -f eshell-batch-file script.esh

(It should just print "hello" and nothing else.)

The relevant test in the
test suite currently fails on MS-Windows, but I'm uncertain whether
it's because it expects a file with hash-bang to be executable by the
shell or for some more fundamental reasons.

Sorry about that. That test should probably be disabled on MS-Windows as you've done. I've added a new test though that should hopefully pass on all systems, including MS-Windows.