Re: Proposal: new default bindings for winner and windmove

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Proposal: new default bindings for winner and windmove
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2024 12:05:22 +0000

Hello, Daniel.

On Sun, Jun 23, 2024 at 07:14:25 -0400, Daniel Colascione wrote:

> On June 23, 2024 6:05:13 AM EDT, Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:
> >Hello, Stefan and Stefan.

> >> FWIW, I don't remember any controversy either, so my guess is that it
> >> just fell through the cracks.

> >I would be against using C-x 4 <arrow keys> or C-x 5 <arrow-keys> for
> >windmove (or anything else) by default.  Key sequences with arrow keys
> >are too few, and too precious, to use for anything not critically
> >important.

> >windmove is not critically important.  Either it isn't used at all by a
> >user (likely most users), or it is used all the time (by a small number
> >of users).  In the latter case, the user will already have bound the
> >commands to key sequences, since they are not useful called from M-x.

> >It wasn't so long ago that we were removing default key bindings so as
> >to free them up for other uses.  I don't think there's any reason to
> >reverse that policy for windmove.  It just isn't important enough.

> >There will be users who've bound these key bindings for their own uses.
> >Let's not mess these users around.

> The arrow keys don't have any meaning after C-x 4 today, and the
> meaning I've been wanting to give them is useful and logical.

It's useful to you, personally.  It wouldn't be useful to me.

> I've been using the arrow key setup for years locally and it works very
> well. It really does make window management much less annoying, and
> it's not like we're going to use the arrow keys for anything else under
> C-x 4.

You've been using C-x 4 <arrow key> for your purposes, and other users
will be using them for their purposes, likely to be different from yours.

> As for windmove being used by users --- well, wouldn't it be nice if we
> had metrics like other modern software projects?

Xah Lee developed just such a program, inviting users to submit their
results to him for aggregation.  This was around 10 years ago.  What came
out was largely that different users use Emacs very differently - an
everyday command for one user was totally unused by another.

> But that aside, even if windmove is sparsely used today, might that be
> because it's inconvenient to use without bindings?

It might, but it's unlikely.  Even C-x 4 <up> would be inconvenient for
me.  I have other-window bound to <f12> and rarely have more than three
or four windows in a frame.  I'd hit <f12> two or three times rather
going through the rigmarole of C-x 4 <up>.

As I said, C-x 4 <arrow keys> are convenient to you for windmove
commands.  They'll be convenient to other users for other commands in
just the same way.  You're proposing imposing your setup on everybody.
I'm against this.

[ .... ]

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).