Re: [POLL] Proposed syntax for timestamps with time zone info (was: [FEA

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [POLL] Proposed syntax for timestamps with time zone info (was: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda)
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2023 22:32:08 +0300

* Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> [2023-02-04 13:58]:
> I used "UTC+2" because it is how offsets are often represented.
> For example, https://time.is/London is displaying the following:
>
>     Time in London, United Kingdom now
>     Time zone
>     - Currently Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), UTC +0
>     - Daylight saving time (British Summer Time (BST), UTC +1)
>     starts March 26, 2023

The above examples are not good enough, for following reasons:

- in your example, you did not show other time zone but UTC time zone,
  plus the UTC prefix.

- in the above shown example, there are time zones shown, plus the UTC
  prefix, and that is how it should be

> Note UTC +0 and UTC +1.

Yes, but in your example, if I remember well, you used @ (now I cannot
be sure), so if you used @UTC+1 for me that would mean you are using
the time zone named "UTC" (I just assume it can be used as time zone
as it exists on my side in the database as well as one of time zones)
and then you added the UTC prefix too. That is not compatible with
each other.

If you use UTC time zone, prefix is always +0 or nothing.

If you use time zone other than UTC time zone, then prefix will be
there.

> I've seen such format in multiple time websites.

That is fine, sure, I have seen it too, though your representation and
those examples have difference.

> On the other hand, TZ POSIX is reverse from what is commonly meant when
> displaying UTC +1.

POSIX is for computers, that is how I understand it, time zones, UTC
offsets, they are rather for human.

> > I think it is incorrect time stamp. If you specify UTC, you do not
> > specify UTC offset.
>
> It is a correct TZ value 🤷

Time zone value?

That is what I meant, and that is how I understood it as "time zone
value" and it's label was "UTC", and then in that case UTC offset
can't be there, as it is contradictory to show UTC offset with UTC
time as UTC time has no UTC offset.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns