emacs-tangents

Re: Emacs User Survey 2020 Results

From: Adrien Brochard
Subject: Re: Emacs User Survey 2020 Results
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 08:04:52 -0500

Yep, sorry for participating in off topic stuff when the center piece is
your great work.  Thanks for doing this, really enjoyed doing the survey
and going through the results.

One thing I really find interesting and maybe troubling is how dominant
r/emacs is.  Personally I generally enjoy r/emacs and r/orgmode, along
with a couple other islands of humanity in the reddit cesspool (and the
odd cool thread on other subs), but IMHO Emacs deserves a better place.

I wonder if you have any insight into whether the reason r/emacs is
represented so heavily is because most your respondents come from
r/emacs or is it because r/emacs has become the de-facto place for Emacs
community.

Thank you! I do have a theory formed from watching the data aggregate
over time: there's a big portion of r/emacs because the survey was
advertised there for a long time, forming a "long tail" of submissions.
The post of the survey was pinned at the top of r/emacs for 5 weeks. And
I remember that when the Hacker News post started trending, it brought
in more responses than any other sources. Just that the Hacker News post
disappeared after a day, when r/emacs stayed. We should plot aggregate
submissions over time grouped by source to confirm.