[emacs-wiki-discuss] emacs-wiki version 2.64 released, please read compa

From: Michael Olson
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] emacs-wiki version 2.64 released, please read compatibility note
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 00:02:26 -0500

The time has come for me to release emacs-wiki version 2.64.  The
tarball may be found at
http://www.mwolson.org/static/dist/emacs-wiki/emacs-wiki-2.64.tar.gz.
I plan to make the Debian package for this one.

This version includes many bug fixes.  A list of them follows.  Please
let me know if these problems persist.

 - Fix space escaping, especially for `emacs-wiki-edit-link-at-point'.

 - Make `emacs-wiki-rename-link-at-point' work properly.  Links will
   now be renamed throughout the current document.

 - `emacs-wiki-journal-category-alist' fix

 - Lists in emacs-wiki-journel.el will have one space in front of them
   to comply with the new Muse markup for lists.  Eventually this
   change will be propagated to all of emacs-wiki, and transition
   functions will be provided at that time.

 - A more compact format for new entries in emacs-wiki-journal.el has
   been implemented.

 - Fix several issues with old versions of Emacs that showed up during
   byte compilation.  One of these was an error that may have made
   emacs-wiki-id.el unusable beforehand.

 - Several files were added to the "contrib" subdirectory so that
   users will not have to search the internet for them.  They are:
   cgi.el, httpd.el, pcomplete.el, and table.el.  Thanks to Frederik
   Fouvry for the heads up.

 - Fix problem when trying to switch to a project whose
   `emacs-wiki-default-page' does not exist, as suggested by Sun
   Yijiang.

 - The info documentation was seriously in need of updating, so I
   hacked it up quite a bit.  It's finally something that I feel good
   about having my name on :^) .

 - Include the new file emacs-wiki-pgg.el, which allows you to encrypt
   sections of a wiki project.  Many thanks to Anirudh Sasikumar for
   his contribution and the addition of the Encryption node to the
   texinfo documentation.

 - Do not recurse into subdirectories by default.  This should
   hopefully fix problems encountered by those who want to define
   projects in `emacs-wiki-projects' that are nested.  If you want the
   old behavior, set `emacs-wiki-recurse-directories' to non-nil.

 - Fix problem concerning processing of hard spaces around emphasized
   text by changing all uses of " \t\n" in regexps to "[:space:]" and
   likewise " \t" becomes "[:blank:]".

 - Disable flyspell-mode temporarily during publish time since it
   serves no purpose then.  This should speed things up if you use
   flyspell on your wiki pages, since it does not have to spawn so
   many new ispell processes anymore.

 - Do not escape spaces in the second (description) part of extended
   links.  Only escape them in the link itself.  *PLEASE* read the
   Compatibility note to learn how to correct the bad behavior of
   previous versions of emacs-wiki.

** Compatibility note

This note regards the change in escaping of spaces in extended links.
If you are a Planner user, you will *definitely* want to read this.

The old behavior of emacs-wiki was to escape spaces in the second part
of extended links.  This was not good since the link description is
allowed to have spaces in it.  Now that I have changed this behavior,
you will probably notice that many of your planner tasks show "%20" in
them.

To correct this, I have made a new file called
emacs-wiki-transition.el.  You will probably only need to use this
file once, so do

  M-x load-file "path/to/emacs-wiki/emacs-wiki-transition.el"

to load it.

These functions have all been tested by me, so I am quite certain that
they will work properly.  You will be prompted once at the beginning
of each operation if you call one of the functions.  Typing "no" will
abort the process.  You might want to back up your project directories
first and look at the output of "diff -u backup changed_dir" afterward
for each project if you are concerned about accidental changes being
made.

At this point, you will need to decide the scope of the changes you
would like to make.

 - If you want to apply the changing of "%20" to " " (space) in the
   second part of extended links to all wiki files in all projects,
   type

     M-x emacs-wiki-tr-extended-link-spaces-all-projects

 - If you want to do this for one project, type

     M-:
   (emacs-wiki-tr-extended-link-spaces-one-project "name-of-project")

 - If you want to do this for one file, type

     M-:
   (emacs-wiki-tr-extended-link-spaces-one-file "name-of-file")

 - If you want to do this in the current buffer, type

     M-x emacs-wiki-tr-extended-link-spaces-this-buffer

** Future plans

For emacs-wiki, I will be mostly be adding to documentation and fixing
bugs.  I intend to write documentation for Muse that will be included
in my branch of Muse.  There are still one or two kinks that need to
be worked out as well.

Once enough documentation is written, I will make a branch of
emacs-wiki and begin re-writing it in terms of Muse functionality.
Once that is complete (or reasonably started), it might be nice to
port over Wiki functionality and the like to Muse.

Here's a note for those of you who have written patches or
functionality for emacs-wiki that include more than 15 lines of source
code being changed (or you made a new work).  I should be contacting
you shortly if I need to use your work in making Muse.  Any work that
is contributed to Muse will have to have its copyright signed over to
the Free Software Foundation.

Since I will be writing the documentation first, I will probably
contact documentation contributors this month.  It may take a month or
two for me to start contacting source code contributors.  Thanks again
to the many contributors who have helped shape emacs-wiki and Muse
into what they are now.

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- Web: http://www.mwolson.org/
Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net -- IRC: mwolson on freenode.net: #muse, #pulug