Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner.el with-planner and cl

From: Mark Triggs
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner.el with-planner and cl
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:05:49 +1100

Jim Ottaway <address@hidden> writes:

>> Hm... it's also defined in subr.el by the looks of it:
>
>>   (defmacro declare (&rest specs)
>>     "Do not evaluate any arguments and return nil.
>>   Treated as a declaration when used at the right place in a
>>   `defmacro' form.  \(See Info anchor `(elisp)Definition of declare'.)"
>>     nil)
>
>> It seems that the actual declare form shouldn't ever get evaluated
>> because defmacro plucks it out when it encounters it.  Something strange
>> happening here, perhaps?
>
> In pre-CVS emacs, such as the 21.2.1 I have here, declare is only
> defined in cl-macs.el; in CVS it is defined [differently of course] in
> both subr.el and cl-macs.el.

Ah yep, so I see.  Now I'm just confused :o)  It seems that in CVS, the
defmacro code in eval.c should remove the (declare ...) form well before
it has the chance to appear in any macro expansions, and in pre-CVS, the
`with-current-buffer' macro doesn't include a (declare ...) form at all.
Either way, I'm not sure how it could be causing problems.

The version of planner I have doesn't seem to use (declare ...) in any
of its own macros.  Is `with-current-buffer' definitely the place it's
turning up?

Cheers,

Mark

--