Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth changes

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth changes
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 21:07:00 +0200

Hello Miguel,

On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 20:50 +0200, Miguel Lobo wrote:
> Well then, since it seems there is some consensus on continuing
> Fluidsynth development in C, I'll go on with my project as a fork with
> a different name.  Hope you guys don't mind me announcing public
> availability of my project in this list (when and if that happens) and
> asking questions about Fluidsynth code.

Its unfortunate that C and C++ have to be so divided in the world of
programming.  No I don't particularly mind announcements of a forked
FluidSynth, as you do seem set on continuing with the platform as you
have it.  While QMake/C++ might fit your needs, it likely doesn't fit
the needs of many other users.

> To begin with, I have one question for you Josh:
>
>         - Overhauling SoundFont loader (its based on my really old
>         code from
>         Smurf SoundFont Editor, which is now Swami).  Perhaps look
>         into just
>         using libInstPatch directly.
>

> Which problems does the current SoundFont loader in Fluidsynth have to
> your knowledge?  (I mean functionality/bugs problems, not code
> quality).

There were recent updates in CVS that fixed a number of issues with the
loader (mainly memory leaks).  The SoundFont loader is just somewhat of
a hack in my opinion (so my comment is more related to the quality of
the code).  It was kind of forced into the FluidSynth code base from a
separate project.  It wastes a bit of memory in its current
implementation, from what I have seen.  My main motivation to using
libInstPatch in FluidSynth though is to be able to use other instrument
formats as support is added in libInstPatch.

> Regards,
> Miguel

Regards,
        Josh