Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth changes

From: Miguel Lobo
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth changes
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 17:16:49 +0200

> Anyway, I believe in the usefulness of the "show me the code"
> approach in these situations.  Many people have strong opinions on
> some technical issues, but not so many are usually willing to
> translate those opinions into actual working code.

Hmm, interesting opinion. Could you be more specific.

Sure.  I just mean that talk is cheap.  Technical flamewars on OSS mailing lists tend to involve many people with strong opinions, even people whose contribution to the project in question in terms of code are slim to none.  That doesn't mean they can comment, of course, but when technical disagreement seems unsolvable, as is so often the case, it's time to see who is willing to support his opinions by writing code and who isn't.  This approach has been followed in the Linux kernel and the KDE project with (IMO) good results.

For the moment, as far as Fluidsynth is concerned, I'm one of those people who is all talk and no code, so I can understand that Josh and others may have reservations when I'm proposing big changes.  I believe that by showing a complete working C++-ized Fluidsynth I'll be able to better support my position, so I was suggesting than if Josh can postpone the decision, he can wait to see my code and then decide if those criticisms to my approach are applicable or not.

As always, no offence is meant to anyone.  Reasonable people can disagree and all that.

Regards,
Miguel