Re: [fluid-dev] qsynth 0.3.6 for mac osx

From: Ebrahim Mayat
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] qsynth 0.3.6 for mac osx
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 11:21:17 -0400

On Apr 15, 2011, at 6:53 PM, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:

On Thursday 14 April 2011, Ebrahim Mayat wrote:
What happens when you try and render a MIDI file using FluidSynth ? (I

I can't reproduce your problem when rendering MIDI files in my Mac. But again, I don't have access to any other Mac except my own.

The CPU saturation I see seems to be restricted to my setup: it would seem to be related to CPU type … but I may be wrong.

I suggest you to try some things, after getting the latest FS from the Subversion repository:

* First, configure it with debug enabled:
$ cmake .. -Denable-debug=yes
This will provide more output, which may provide some clues. Another setting that you may want to try is
-Denable-floats=yes

* When running FluidSynth, use the arguments -c and -z to provide larger buffer sizes, and play also with the -r argument trying to match the native sample rate of your audio device, or another. For instance, this is the output in my system when rendering your MIDI file:

$ fluidsynth -c 4 -z 1024 -r 48000 GeneralUser_GS_FluidSynth_v1.43.sf2 ROCK.MID
FluidSynth version 1.1.3
Copyright (C) 2000-2010 Peter Hanappe and others.
Distributed under the LGPL license.
SoundFont(R) is a registered trademark of E-mu Systems, Inc.

fluidsynth: debug: Using 'coreaudio' audio driver
fluidsynth: debug: mSampleRate 48000
fluidsynth: debug: mFormatFlags 00000001
fluidsynth: debug: mBytesPerPacket 8
fluidsynth: debug: mFramesPerPacket 1
fluidsynth: debug: mChannelsPerFrame 2
fluidsynth: debug: mBytesPerFrame 8
fluidsynth: debug: mBitsPerChannel 32
fluidsynth: debug: MaximumFramesPerSlice = 4096
fluidsynth: debug: Using 'coremidi' midi driver
Type 'help' for help topics.

fluidsynth: debug: fluidsynth-svn/src/midi/fluid_midi.c: 1443: Loading midifile ROCK.MID
fluidsynth: debug: File load: Allocating 5156 bytes
fluidsynth: debug: Division=384
fluidsynth: debug: tempo=480000, tick time=1.250000 msec, cur time=0 msec, cur tick=0
fluidsynth: debug: signature=4/4, metronome=24, 32nd-notes=8
fluidsynth: debug: tempo=500000, tick time=1.302083 msec, cur time=0 msec, cur tick=0

I checked out r 419. I compiled with and without the framework settting. My problem persists. Attached is the Terminal and gdb output.

Best wishes,
Ebrahim