Re: [fluid-dev] Proposal: FluidSynth tester program

From: Matt Giuca
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Proposal: FluidSynth tester program
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 15:38:38 +1000

A warning for anybody performing a test: you should ensure that you are testing against the RC version of libfluidsynth, not just the fluidsynth binary. This will depend on the specifics of the system, but the easiest way to ensure this is to delete any old versions of fluidsynth you have around.

The reason I bring this up is because in the past I've been thinking I was using a new version of fluidsynth when in fact I was using the old one. The reason is that the 'fluidsynth' binary is actually just a thin shell, that dynamically loads the 'libfluidsynth' library, that does all the real work. It's possible that you're using the new version of fluidsynth but dynamically loading the old version of libfluidsynth.

On Linux (and maybe Mac), you can tell which version of a library a binary will load by typing 'ldd fluidsynth'. If you see in that list the path to where you unzipped and built the RC in the libfluidsynth entry, then you are OK.

(Having said all this, this time it seemed to work fine without me deleting the old version, but it pays to be sure.)