Re: [fluid-dev] Velocity to gain formula

From: S. Christian Collins
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Velocity to gain formula
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 17:28:57 -0600

Okay, I might get some of the terminology wrong here (being a SoundFont designer but not a developer), but as I understand it, the default velocity-to-attenuation curve is -96 dB (at 0 velocity) to 0 dB (at 127 velocity). This is not calculated linearly but on a concave curve (which is the most natural-sounding). Now, if your SoundFont player supports SoundFont 2.01 modulators (FluidSynth does), you can change the velocity curve using a SoundFont editor. Not all SoundFont editors will let you modify this parameter, however. For some instruments, I like to set the bottom of the curve to -80 dB or even -70 dB, which gives a less extreme difference between high and low velocities. This is good for brass and some wind instruments.

So, you shouldn't need to apply more gain to lower velocity levels... having the right curve should take care of that. The only exception is if your samples aren't normalized, and then you might want to boost the lower velocity levels a bit to make up for the quieter samples.

What OS and SoundFont editor(s) are you using?
-~Chris