Re: [fluid-dev] Fluid Synth CC1 Tremolo

From: David Back
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Fluid Synth CC1 Tremolo
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2020 07:42:43 +0000 (UTC)

The extra resources are minimal and are not "wasted" they are used to provide extra speed.

I cannot predict how many cores my users PC's will have so the synth.cpu-cores setting is useless. Even if it adjusts itself to the real no. of cores a user has it provides no guaranteed benefit over using four instances. Each division of an organ is pretty much identical so I use the benefits of c++ code to reuse the identical code for each division including processing the synths. Four instances of FS will run perfectly well even if the users PC has only one core.

The four stereo outputs are automatically provided by using four synth instances. And are simple for users to understand and use. Thus the additional complexity of "multi-channel rendering" is avoided. (Though I may come back to this later, in order to get even more outputs, if and when I get some spare time)

I was only experimenting with V2 in order to get my tremolo working. I am sorry to say my experience of V2 (different, more complex API and all the extra .dlls) put me off using it for now. I used a precompiled version because that was easiest at the time. My previous experience of compiling FS on Windows was very time consuming - hopefully you have now made it easier to compile. I have other more useful things to do at present.

FS V1.1.8 may have bugs (so does all software) but the bugs are so well hidden that I have not noticed them. They certainly do not and never have crashed my App.

David(csw900)

On Monday, 6 July 2020, 06:37:02 BST, Tom M. <tom.mbrt@googlemail.com> wrote:

> four instances are around four times faster than one instance would be

Four instances are pretty much four times more wasteful on resources
than a single instance. The synth has a built-in parallel renderer,
you just need to use it:

fluid_settings_setint(settings, "synth.cpu-cores", 4);

> Also each instance of FS provides one stereo output, so four instances can provide up to four stereo outputs.

That's not a reason either as the synth supports multi-channel
rendering. Sorry, I think you should not claim to understand the
synth.

> so I have no need to update to V2. V2 uses a whole host of extra .dll's

The "host of dlls" strongly depends on the environment used for
compilation. That said, V2 does not have any extra dependencies!

>  and, as far as I can tell, provides no useful extra functionality for an organ.

V2 provides (completely useless) bug fixes for an organ. V1.1.8 could
crash your entire app...

Tom