Re: [fluid-dev] [ fluid-dev ] How to set up mpe like behaviour?

From: Ceresa Jean-Jacques
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] [ fluid-dev ] How to set up mpe like behaviour?
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 15:00:21 +0200 (CEST)

>I'm trying to send individual pitchbends to the channels of fluidsynth, where each channel should respond individually to pitchbends instead of one global pitchbend.

fluidsynth is an ordinary MIDI synthesizer that responds to pitchbends MIDI message individually on each MIDI channel. As far I know there are no global pitchbend in the MIDI specs and fluidsynth haven't knowledge of any kind of global pitch bend.

>I've tried to do this  ` setbasicchannels x 3 1` for all 16 channels, but they don't seem to respond to individual pitch bends. Is there something i'm missing?

basic channels concepts are different things that pitch bend MIDI messages. So it is useless to set any fluidsynth MIDI channel in basic channel mode 3.

>The manual says the user can set individual pitch band ranges per channel, so i was thinking it could do this.

Sorry, you probably misunderstood. You need simply to send pitch bend MIDI message to each fluidsynth's x MIDI channel. That's it.

jjc

> Message du 21/04/21 19:24
> De : "Muziker Mammoth" <muzikermammoth@gmail.com>
> A : fluid-dev@nongnu.org
> Copie à :
> Objet : [fluid-dev] [ fluid-dev ] How to set up mpe like behaviour?

I'm trying to send individual pitchbends to the channels of fluidsynth, where each channel should respond individually to pitchbends instead of one global pitchbend. This is to facilitate some microtonal experimentation.The mpe spec allows this to happen because each channel of the instrument can do individual pitch bends of any user specified semitone range.

I've tried to do this  ` setbasicchannels x 3 1` for all 16 channels, but they don't seem to respond to individual pitch bends. Is there something i'm missing? The manual says the user can set individual pitch band ranges per channel, so i was thinking it could do this.

thanks,

muziker