freeride-devel

Re: [FR-devel] Source Browser

From: Ron Jeffries
Subject: Re: [FR-devel] Source Browser
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 05:34:15 -0500

Around Tuesday, March 05, 2002, 4:43:08 AM, NISHIO Mizuho wrote:

> I attach the prototype of the Source Browser to this mail.
> I test this Source Browser under Windows98 and Debian GNU/Linux.
> Type 'ruby source.rb', and the browser starts.

It looks very interesting. Here are some first impressions: I suppose
you have already thought of these, but just in case they are useful:

The list of defined items under the class names might be more useful
if it was alphabetized. I'd like to at least try it that way.

I am assuming that when I click an item, the intent is that the text
window will reposition to that item?

I did not find the parsing too slow on reasonable sized files, on my
Win 2000 600 MHz machine. I would not make faster parsing a high
priority.

The text window opens very narrow in Windows, and the hierarchy window
very wide. I don't know if that is unique to Windows.

Here is a very wild idea from my Smalltalk background: I would like to
try a version that shows just one method (or other defined item?) at a
time in a small text window. A Smalltalk browser typically has three
panes: top left = class list, top right = method list for the class
selected in top left, and bottom = method text for method selected in
top right.

It really looks like a very good start! Congratulations to all who
have contributed!

Ron Jeffries
www.XProgramming.com
To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.  --Karl Wallenda