Re: [Devel] Re: Another approach to mac fonts...

From: George Williams
Subject: Re: [Devel] Re: Another approach to mac fonts...
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 09:46:15 -0700

On 2003.05.19 08:26 Dan Williams wrote:
Ok, correct you are. My first read of your comment was more general, hence my response. However, I believe my comment here still stands: why should we not make this code available to other platforms?
Because resource forks don't exist on other platforms.
And the notation "<filename>/rsrc" only works on OS/X (ie. not on OS/9, etc.) The code which is enabled will handle the concepts which do exist on other platforms (dfonts, macbinaried resource files, etc).

I think it would be a huge benefit. Furthermore, why shouldn't we simply compile ftmac.c for _all_ platforms, include your code here for walking the "resource" fork for non-mac platforms, otherwise compile with the code that's already in ftmac.c?
If you want to move my code to ftmac that makes sense.
I use a slightly more general approach than ftmac (I have modified FT_Open_Face and will pick up resource files that have been loaded into memory, whereas ftmac modifies FT_New_Face and only works on disk files), so the two don't mesh as well as they might.

I'm going to be biking through the Loire valley for the next couple of weeks and won't be making any changes to anything.