[Devel] Re: Problem with freetype rendering of an Indic opentype font

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Devel] Re: Problem with freetype rendering of an Indic opentype font
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 22:24:10 +0200 (CEST)

> I see a problem with the freetype rendering of this unicode string:
>
> "0xcb7 0xccd"
>
> Using Microsoft tunga.ttf (A kannada font that ships with Windows
> XP).  In fact, the problem manifests itself with all other
> consonants too, including 0xcb7.

I don't have time to investigate but it seems to me that some
contextual shaping is happening.  If this is true it is not a problem
of FreeType 2 (which doesn't support OpenType directly for the moment)
but rather a problem one level higher where Indic scripts are handled,
probably within the Pango library.  Owen?