Re: [Devel] Re: [Kannada] Re: Problem with freetype rendering of an I

From: Owen Taylor
Subject: Re: [Devel] Re: [Kannada] Re: Problem with freetype rendering of an Indic opentype font
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 15:03:26 -0400

On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 10:57, Rogier van Dalen wrote:
> > Hmm, I *guess* you could interpret the opentype spec that way -
> > the text is:
> >
> >   If not zero, skips over all marks of attachment type
> >   different from specified.
> >
> > Perhaps that means:
> >
> >   If not zero, skips over all marks that have specified
> >   attachment type that is different from the type specified
> >   here. (Marks not in the MarkAttachClassDef table are
> >   not skipped.)
> >
> > I think it would be very much worth suggesting that the spec be
> > fixed here, since the current text is unclear. Last time I had
> > a fix for the spec, I sent it to address@hidden, which
> > eventually got to the right place.
>
> It might be better to raise this issue on the OpenType mailing list:
> address@hidden Why assume that Microsoft has the correct
> implementation, while it might be that they are just plain wrong? "All
> glyphs not assigned to a class fall into Class 0" the spec says
> (chapter2.htm), not "All glyphs not assigned to a class have no class".

Well, if it's not simply a spec clarification, yes, that's probably
a better forum. (*)

This isn't about the class of the glyphs, but rather about the
"MarkAttach" class, which is something different... a further
refinement of the "mark" class, more or less.

Regards,
                                                Owen

(*) Though I've actually tried to subscribe two or three times in the
past without any luck, apparently it doesn't like mail from redhat.com
or something, so don't expect to see me there. Not that I've spent a lot
of time trying to debug the situation.