Re: [Devel] 2.1.5rc1 and bytecode interpreter

From: James H. Cloos Jr.
Subject: Re: [Devel] 2.1.5rc1 and bytecode interpreter
Date: 05 Sep 2003 18:50:52 -0400

>> The only issue I just noticed was that, for some CFF fonts, the
>> glyph for w is rendered filled in.  I'm not able to duplicate it in
>> ftview, so the problem may lie elsewhere.  (I saw it in a kde app.)

David> Did you have this issue with 2.1.4 as well, or did this just
David> popped out recently ?

I don't know why I didn't see it in ftview the other night, but today
it does show up.  I also recompiled 2.1.4 and tested that w/ ftview;
the affected fonts showed the anomaly there, too.  As well as 2.1.3.

I cvssucked the repo, so I can now easily test any other tag if that
is helpful.

David> Interestingly, some code has been added to "symetrize" letters
David> like "m" or "w" who happen to have three vertical stems of
David> identical dimensions.

That works as advertized.  Looks better at most pixel sizes.  (For at
least one font there was a single pixel size in the 6 pix to 24 pix
range where 214 looked better; 215 looked *much* better in every other
size.  A good tradeoff IMO.)

David> It'd be interesting to see if printing to PDF or Postscript
David> files works correctly in OpenOffice and other word
David> processors. These are the kind of things that might trigger the
David> binary incompatibility mentionned.

I don't have OOo installed at the moment (have to pull it across a
modem), and everything else is compiled locally (gentoo) so I'm not
really able to test that.  Everything I could test did work, though.

-JimC