Re: [ft-devel] Re: [freetype-autohint] Bitstream Vera and tilde

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Re: [freetype-autohint] Bitstream Vera and tilde
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 13:45:55 -0400

>>>>> "August" == August Karlstrom <address@hidden> writes:

August> Sorry, actually it's not Bitstream Vera. The default fonts I'm
August> talking about are named Sans, Serif and Monospace (don't know
August> if they have "real" names). I'm using a screen resolution of
August> 800x600 and 96 dpi.

Please run:

     fc-match Sans
     fc-match Serif
     fc-match Monospace

and let us know the results.  That will show us the fonts that get
used when youask fontconfig for those names.

You can also add the --sort option to fc-match to get a long list of
every font that matches.  (The list can be quite long for those three
aliases.)  That will also show the fallbacks which will be used by
such libraries as pango in case the glyphs are missing from the
primary font.  But that shouldn't be relevant to your problem with the
tilde glyph.

BTW, the results of fc-match are dependant on locale; you can expect a
different result from:

     LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 fc-match Sans

and:

     LC_ALL=ja_JP.UTF-8 fc-match Sans