Re: [ft-devel] Export services?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Export services?
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 08:10:13 +0200 (CEST)

> On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 10:11:21PM +0200, David Turner wrote:

David, I've added your address to the freetype-devel list (without
receiving mails).

> An exported service is like an exported function call, once get
> exported, it allows no change.

May I suggest that we postpone this discussion and work on fixing the
list of exported functions first?  This seems to be a more urgent task
to me which probably identifies other problems/benefits of services.
It basically means the following:

  . Write a script which collects all EXPORT_DEF declarations and
    converts it to a list.

  . Add it to the build process.

  . Pass it to libtool's `-export-symbols' parameter.

Can you afford some time to work on this?

> Hmm, maybe we can export the byte interpreter as a service, then a
> client can use this service to show how intructions instruct a glyph
> vividly.

I think this is not worth the time.  The only program which uses this
is FontForge, and George (who is intentionally using internal headers)
will update his interface to FreeType whenever it's necessary.