RE: [ft-devel] Problem with Type 42 incremental downloading font

From: Graham Asher
Subject: RE: [ft-devel] Problem with Type 42 incremental downloading font
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 15:08:20 -0000

Werner,

well, I'd better own up that I don't know much about this - my mind is going
;-)

<<<<<<
> And, the incremental downloaded Type42 font object only I know is in
> PostScript printing data: especially that generated for Distiller.
> I agree, if FreeType can supporting incremental is good idea, but what
> application uses it?

GhostScript can use it. I am not sure whether the current version of
GhostScript does actually use it,. but that was what I wrote it for.

Here is what I seem to have written in my long-dormant Advogato log on 1st
July 2003:

" I eventually finished the GhostScript incremental font loading system and
general bridge between GhostScript and FreeType, but unfortunately it is
unlikely to become an official part of GhostScript because of difficulties
in matching up what GhostScript wants and what FreeType can provide; Artifex
eventually put the whole thing aside, and that was the right thing to do. I
wasn't working on this full-time, and wasn't able to get familiar enough
with GhostScript internals to sort out the problems."

I had forgotten all about it...

By the way, the incremental loading interface is documented in
include\freetype\ftincrem.h.

Best regards,

Graham