Re: [ft-devel] Problem with Type 42 incremental downloading font

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Problem with Type 42 incremental downloading font
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 11:28:24 +0900

Thanks to all.

I asked:

Werner wrote:
>>The incremental code has been contributed by Graham Asher, mainly for
>>use with GhostScript, IIRC (or was it Symbian?).  We don't actively
>>maintain it.

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 15:08:20 -0000
"Graham Asher" <address@hidden> wrote:
>GhostScript can use it. I am not sure whether the current version of
>GhostScript does actually use it,. but that was what I wrote it for.

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 10:41:14 -0800
Dirck Blaskey <address@hidden> wrote:
>This code is also used by the Liberty Systems Postscript Interpreter
>(CentraDoc). It is quite handy in dealing with Postscript Type 42
>fonts defined on-the-fly. I had no idea it wasn't actively maintained.

Now I think that incrementally-loaded Type42 font driver
is almost impossible to utilize without PostScript interpreter.
>From the viewpoint of PostScript interpreter maintainer,
the current implementation incrementally-loaded Type42
font driver should be improved? There's any expected feature
in "future issue" status?

Regards,
mpsuzuki

P.S.
I suppose "generating subsetted Type42 font object" is expected
by various applications, but it is another issue, and I think
it's not task of FreeType library.