Re: [ft-devel] Re: possible inefficiency in gray_render_cubic

From: Ken Sharp
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Re: possible inefficiency in gray_render_cubic
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 10:32:11 +0100

At 10:04 08/06/2010 +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> I am sceptical about the need to calculate both da and db.  Perhaps
> db only will suffice.  I hope that David or Werner can comment.

This is something Ken can probably check: He has a large database for
Ghostscript to compare rendering results, and artifacts introduced by
the simplified shorthand calculation would easily show up, I think.

I'd like to be able to, but at the moment GS doesn't use FreeType for anti-aliased rendering, hich is when this would get used I think ? Currently GS renders text to create a bitmap mask, and fills the mask with a colour (in PostScript colour can mean something complicated, like a pattern)

It's on the schedule to replace the Ghostscript (crude) anti-aliasing with the FreeType anti-aliasing, but probably after we get the PCL and XPS interpreters to use FT (at the moment only the PS and PDF ones do).

If I'm wrong please let me know and I'll be happy to put a patch through our regression testing.

            Ken