Re: [ft-devel] Re: possible inefficiency in gray_render_cubic

From: Graham Asher
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Re: possible inefficiency in gray_render_cubic
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 10:17:01 +0100

No, I don't think it's worth worrying about this right now. I worked on this because I wanted to create a version of my CartoType library as a portable .NET assembly, and in fact I managed to compile CartoType as C++/CLI code, which is a tribute to its robustness; but to do that I had to remove setjmp/longjmp and change a few symbols which conflicted with new keywords, like 'generic'. It was an interesting exercise, but proved to be a dead end (for the moment) because C++/CLI is not supported for Windows Mobile, and 'portable' .NET assemblies seem not in fact to be portable.

Doing this showed that setjmp and longjmp are not necessary for FreeType; and perhaps they should be removed in future; but there's no compelling reason to do so right now.

Graham

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
[...] I use a modified version of FreeType that can be compiled as
pure .NET intermediate language code; and to do that I had to get
rid of setjmp and longjmp; incidentally, with no performance penalty
and little extra complexity.

Is this something we should consider in general?  I mean, are there
benefits for removing setjmp/longjmp except portability to other
programming languages?