Re: [ft-devel] A review of ttfauthint by designer of Siri

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] A review of ttfauthint by designer of Siri
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 20:24:42 -0500

>>>>> "va" == vernon adams <address@hidden> writes:

va> Can anyone tell me what the equivalent is of 'forced auto-hinting on'
va> under fontconfig settings? is it 'hinting' false, 'Autohinter' true,
va> hintstyle 'full' ?

autohint=true should override everything else.

I use a config snippet which forces lcdfilter=lcddefault whenever
autohint is set.

va> The fontconfig documentation suggest that hintstyle full works best
va> with the bytecode interpreter. How does hintstyle effect BCI hinting
va> and/or the autohinter?

Iff autohint=false and fontformat=TrueType then hintstyle=hintfull
should use the BCI.  Otherwise, IIRC, the BCI will not be used.

Ie:

  if ( hinting=false || hintstyle=hintnone )
     do_not_hint
  elsif ( fontformat=TrueType && hintstyle=hintfull && autohint=false )
     use_bytecode
  elsif (hintstyle=hintslight)
     use_light_autohinter
  else