Re: [ft-devel] [ttfautohint] stem width handling is now selectable

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [ttfautohint] stem width handling is now selectable
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 12:24:09 +0200

On 3 July 2012 12:09, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello Vern!
>

> In git, I've now fixed the situation displayed in your
> `Capture-G-win7GDI.png' image (showing Open Sans at 21px, please look
> at the ugly rendering of digit 3, for example): It was a buglet in
> FreeType's autofit module which didn't show up because of its smooth
> rendering algorithm.
>
> The old code contained both a (scaled) stem width of 95 and 97 units;
> for the strong stem width algorithm, the former was rounded to 1px but
> the latter to 2px.  The new code avoids this by unifying such almost
> identical stem widths, taking the mean value, 96.  As a threshold,
> widths which are different less than or equal to 1% of the em size are
> unified; this is certainly not noticeable visually.

Wow, that is a really substantial improvement :-) Well done Werner, bravo!

On 2 July 2012 06:43, Vernon Adams <address@hidden> wrote:

> I maybe wrong, but I thought dw was found in explorer
> 9 and Firefox 7+ but not the win system.

Yes, Win 7 has DW available but apps have to be rewritten to use it
(because the apps currently use the GDI API)

So we can expect that in Win 8 most of the MS apps will be using it,
but many 3rd party apps will take some time to change. Some maybe
never will.