Re: [ft-devel] ftgrid now supports MM (and GX) fonts

From: Adam Twardoch (List)
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] ftgrid now supports MM (and GX) fonts
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 16:22:10 +0100

It's possible to create GX Variations in FontForge (where they are called the
Apple flavor of MM). There are some bugs there, resulting probably from the
not-so-clear documentation by Apple (fvar, gvar, avar, cvar tables -- all
documented by Apple), and from lack of testing on Mac OS.

I'm currently working on this (testing, reporting bugs) and building a sample
font that I'll release under OFL or Apache 2.

FontLab Studio 5 can open GX Variations but it converts them to the Adobe MM
model via extrapolation. It cannot generate them, though (currently, FontForge
seems to be the only tool that does it).

Best,
Adam

Sent from my mobile phone.