Re: [ft-devel] Supporting OT-SVG out of the box

From: armin
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Supporting OT-SVG out of the box
Date: Sun, 12 May 2019 20:27:49 +0100

>> You're describing two main benefits of dynamic linking and why it so popular.
>> As far as I'm concerned, static linking is rather used for edge cases like
>> static code analysis or when you can't be certain that a required library
>> exists on a system when want to run your program.
>
> Yea, I see. The thing is, I had this really wrong image in the back of my mind
> that since FreeType is being used on so many different devices, it is supposed
> to be self-contained. In that sense, I expected `libpng' to be a part of it. I
> was dead wrong. Thanks to you guys, it's clear now! :)

Let me just throw this in here for reference;  _generally_ FreeType tries to
avoid dependencies like these where it can;  you aren't wrong there ;)  As you
can see, FreeType doesn't really have many dependencies, compared to a lot of
other important Linux libraries.  You can find numerous discussions about
using/not-using external libraries in FreeType's mailing lists -- a recent one
was about the usage of whether to use an external logging library;  that was
leading up to GSoC.  So people here are wary (for good reason) when it comes to
dependencies like these -- they will always be discussed extensively.  BUT,
adding source code like the entirety of `svgnative' is just no option (as
discussed earlier).  The question there is rather whether FreeType _should_
provide functionality that requires external libraries.  One thing to consider
is that FreeType is `as low as it gets on the font rendering stack' (as Werner
likes to explain) and there are a great amount of libraries out there that are
still considered `low-level' that build atop of FreeType to provide glyph
colouring, shaping, etc.  In the case of SVG support, however, discussions have
led to the conclusion that FreeType would benefit from it without betraying its
core principles (of providing low-low-low-level utilities for font rendering).
Also, SVG support is optional, so you can build + run FreeType without
requiring it.  This is in analogy to PNG/emoticon support, btw.  If you follow
FreeType long enough, you will definitely stumble into situations where
external libraries are the centre of heated discussions :)

Best
Armin