Re: [ft-devel] Accessing `ft_mem_*' from OT-SVG hooks

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Accessing `ft_mem_*' from OT-SVG hooks
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2019 19:34:49 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Moazin!

> [...]  `ft_mem_*' cannot be accessed from outside FreeType if the
> client program is linking dynamically.

Yes.  IMHO, it should stay hidden, to properly encapsulate such
internal detail.

> To solve this issue, memory allocation needs to be performed from
> the FreeType side.

Not necessarily.  You could also provide hooks for allocation,
(probably reallocation also), and deallocation routines.

> Let me know what you guys think about this solution (adding two new
> hooks to query the required memory and allocating it on FreeType
> side).

Looks OK to me.  However, in case more such routines are necessary,
the above approach with two (or three) functions might be preferable.