Re: Autohinter and FT_LOAD_MONOCHROME question...

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: Autohinter and FT_LOAD_MONOCHROME question...
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 12:16:01 +0200

Hi Boris,

> Boris Letocha a écrit :
>
> Hi!
>
> In freetype.h is writted that FT_LOAD_MONOCHROME is used only for
> FT_Render_Glyph. But when I look at AutoHinter pages there is something about
> hinting of aliased and monochrome glyphs differently. So are these options
> used only for rendering or also for autohinting?

There is no definite plan for now. The current auto-hinter takes the
"load_flag" argument
from FT_Load_Glyph, and currently uses its own bitflag FT_LOAD_HINT_MONOCHROME
(or
something like that). I could easily merge them..

Note that for now, the difference between monochrome and anti-aliased hinting
isn't
striking for monochrome bitmaps. The difference is really noticeable for
anti-aliased
glyphs, because you can have width of 1 and 1/2 pixel without problem there..

Don't expect too much on the monochrome auto-hinting department for now, because
it's not where I put my priority. I wanted a system that would work well in the
general case (and possibly very well with AA glyphs). It's possible to enhance
the quality of monochrome glyphs, but through 1-bit-specific techniques..

- David