Looking for opinions

From: Matthew Beare
Subject: Looking for opinions
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 14:24:37 +0100

Hi

I am currently evaluating possible text rendering packages to use in our
software - this is to replace the use of Display PostScript which we
have used in the past.  I am initially looking at FreeType and T1lib.
Our primary concern is to be able to render Type1 fonts (as done by
DPS), but the option to extend this in future is also a consideration.

I would welcome any opinions that subscribers to this list have with
regard to how easy FreeType is to implement and use and what advantages
it offers over something like T1lib.  I would also be interested in
knowing if there is a (tentative) date for the release of version 2.

BTW. I have just downloaded the current FT2 tar file and it has built
okay, but there is no "demos" directory.  Is this a deliberate omission
?

Many thanks,

Matt Beare.

  Dr. Matthew Beare                    |  Email: address@hidden
  Senior Software Engineer,            |  Tel:   +44 (0)1223 420414
  Laser-Scan, Cambridge Science Park,  |  Fax:   +44 (0)1223 420044
  Milton Rd., Cambridge, CB4 0FY, UK.  |  http://www.laser-scan.com
  Any opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily Laser-Scan's