Re: [Fsfe-uk] Bristol City Council goes open source

From: Ian Lynch
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Bristol City Council goes open source
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:19:41 +0100

On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 15:53, Stuart Yeates wrote:
> I'm not sure of the copyright status, so here's a taster of an article I
> just received from the e-government bulletin http://www.headstar.com/egb/
>
> Of course, it's star office not open office, so it's not truly open
> source...

Its based on OpenSource which is certainly better than MSO. We have to
accept that for some FLOSS is a bridge to far at the moment which is why
the OOo/SO situation is a killer combo. Once they get used to StarOffice
its a much easier transition to FLOSS and take up of the OASIS document
format enables other FLOSS apps to get into the market eg KOffice.

So tactically getting people from MSO to SO is good!
--
Ian Lynch <address@hidden>
ZMS Ltd