Re: OOo database support (was: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Bristol City Council goes o

From: Ian Lynch
Subject: Re: OOo database support (was: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Bristol City Council goes open source)
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 00:06:04 +0100

On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 23:29, Robin Green wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 10:31:09PM +0100, Ian Lynch wrote:
> > Any serious user of databases wouldn't use Adabas, theyd connect to a
> > SQL database using the mechanism built into OOo and SO for doing so.
>
> I wasn't aware that OOo had such a mechanism - thanks for pointing it out!
>
> As you are our OOo expert I thought I'd take the opportunity to ask:
> How mature is this support? In particular, can it be used by amateurs
> to create simple databases with linked tables, with simple forms?

Yes but it requires a bit of setting up. You need to set up a database
serversuch as MySQL, PostGreSQL etc and connect to it.
Have a look at
http://dba.openoffice.org/

for more information on database connection via JDBC and ODBC

> How does it compare to, say, MS Access?

er, its not a toy :-).

Actually Access stores files with your application which is fine if you
want to take yout database home and fiddle with the entire file. For
"real" databses this woouldn't be too feasible because they could be
filled with gigs of data so you keep the data store somewhere net
accessible and connect to it only getting out the data you are
interested in.

Because there has been a lot of demand for an Access style database, OOo
2.0 due outin March will have such an app which is a java based app.
Java has caused a bit of controversy because its SUn and not open source
but it was the only practical alternative at the time. Some people like
the idea of using SQLlite and there is something about this at the URL
above. Of course the ability to connect to any database is still
available. OOo does use dbase files internatlly at the moment but these
are somewhat limited.

In writer go to File -- Autopilot and click forms and you will see what
is there already. Its just a dbase example but by connecting to a proper
SQL server you have a quite powerful tool. One of the best kept OOo
secrets!
--
Ian Lynch <address@hidden>
ZMS Ltd