Re: [Fsfe-uk] TV show about copyright, the Internet and DRM

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] TV show about copyright, the Internet and DRM
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 09:08:04 +0100

On Sun, 2006-04-30 at 00:12 +0100, Shane M. Coughlan wrote:
> > So who is going to make them - or at least the first of them?
> > Does anyone here have any experience of such things?
>
> Yes, I do to a limited extent.  And I currently have a 3CCD MiniDV
> camera from Panasonic as well as professional digital editing tools.

We should probably strive to create them with Free Software, if we can.
We don't need anything more than an A/B roll editor.

There are a good few people who have experience with this kind of thing.
I've been trained both as a camera person and editor, and am quite happy
to show other people what I know. There are other people who've worked
in post production I know, and I'm pretty sure I've spoken to at least
three/four people about radio work before.

I'm pretty sure Jason has offered equipment in the past, you have a
camera, and I know others do too. Presumably if you forked out for a
3CCD you know the business end of a camera.

We'd probably only be scratching around for light boards/lighting and
booms.

> Alex, I agree that it's a good idea.  I further believe that it is
> possible to create a (single episode?) show discussing our type of
> issues.  However, pre-production, production and post-production would
> mean that we're looking at about four to six months before anything is
> likely to be ready.

Well, the kind of thing I have in mind is actually a series of shorts
rather than one large show. I'm thinking 10mn videos on single topics,
maybe shorter (or maybe a couple of edits) - basically, so that we could
put these things online as well as use them at presentations.

These wouldn't take more than a day to film each, and probably a few
man-days to get a cut.

The absolute hardest part of this, I think, would be the scriptwriting -
and that's something I don't know anyone here has experience of. I'm
pretty sure Gavin's GNU/London film didn't have a script, although
undoubtedly there was research involved, but I'm thinking of these more
as educational shorts than current affairs, if you see what I mean.

I'm also wondering if we talked about doing something like this before.
I seem to remember someone coming up with a bullet point list of topics
to address, but cannot remember the context that came up in....

Cheers,

Alex.