Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 15:43:20 +0000

Noah Slater <address@hidden> wrote:
> [...] Your proposals imply that you
> would rather that people continued to use non-free software.

Huh?  What a bad attempt at telepathy.  I would rather that people
used free software to view open formats containing Flash-like content.

Using free software to view closed formats is very much a second
choice, because of the risk of the free software being like a cheap
taster that gets users "hooked" on the "drug" of the closed format,
encouraging them to use the format-controller's proprietary software
viewer to get access to the latest features.

Of course, having no way to convert the closed formats to something
more useful is even worse.  Does Gnash include a converter usually?  I
keep seeing it described as a player only and I can't see how to save
video from the documentation, but I might be missing something.

Regards,