Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only

From: Noah Slater
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 15:48:58 +0000

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 03:43:20PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Huh?  What a bad attempt at telepathy.  I would rather that people
> used free software to view open formats containing Flash-like content.

Natch. But given that you cant control what formats people are using
on the web in the short term you are left with two choices:

 a) Tell people they shouldn't use YouTube
 2) Tell people to use non-free Flash players to use YouTube
 d) Provide a free software alternative for people to use YouTube

Option a is doomed to failure and is incredibly wrongheaded.

Option 2 is untenable for a free software advocate.

Option d is the only option left...

--
Noah Slater <http://bytesexual.org/>

"Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so far as
society is free to use the results." - R. Stallman