Re: GIMP CMYK support - was [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund

From: Noah Slater
Subject: Re: GIMP CMYK support - was [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 17:26:16 +0000

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 05:12:54PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> The FDL is not a free software licence, so I feel that funding that
> does not support software freedom.

Good, free, documentation is very much a part of free software.

To argue otherwise is patently absurd.

> that link didn't look like it was directed for a
> propagandist-propaganda campaign.

I'm sorry, I have absolutely no idea what this means.

> I think posting a barely-relevant FSF donation link to an FSFE list
> is borderline trolling.

The poster I was responding to mentioned funding or donating to
continued free software development and so suggesting that they donate
to the FSF is IMHO highly relevant.

Also, I think that you need to go read the definition of "trolling"
before you throw it around so causally in public. To suggest I was
trolling is to suggest I was making an unsincere statement for the
express purpose of provoking a negative reaction.

I assure you that as an FSF associate member my suggestion was both
sincere and intended to be light hearted.

> Support the European organisation, please!

The mind boggles how you could call me a troll in one instance and
then repeat the very behaviour you chastised me for.

The FSFE is a /very/ different and completely seperate organisation
from the FSF and your statement, I think, is deliberately misleading
in this manner. It is important for people to be aware that these two
organisations are, from what I gather, not linked in any way and share
different outlooks/goals/methods/roadmaps etc.

I financially support the FSF for my own reasons and that is not to
say I don't appreciate the work the FSFE does, but your trolling me in
public for a lighthearted suggestion and then directing people away
from the FSF donations page under false pretences seems a little off.

--
Noah Slater <http://bytesexual.org/>

"Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so far as
society is free to use the results." - R. Stallman