Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Freedom to take freedom

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Freedom to take freedom
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 12:08:29 +0000

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 12:04 +0000, Dave Crossland wrote:
> If I release software with a license in LICENSE.txt and a TERMS.txt
> that says "You can only use this on Mondays" - it is not free
> software, and you can receive it from me under those terms because I'm
> the original licenor, but you can't redistribute it.

Why can't I redistribute it?

You've given me a license, and there's nothing in the license which says
I can't - the "no further restrictions" bit applies to me, but I'm not
adding any further restrictions - you've already added them.

Whether or not it is free is obviously a different and independent
matter, and the example you gave is non-free, but that doesn't make it
undistributable. I can't see any reason why I can't distribute that
software if I wanted to.

Cheers,

Alex.