Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Freedom to take freedom

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Freedom to take freedom
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 20:33:54 +0000

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 16:52 +0000, Sam Liddicott wrote:
> I mean if the author says "you can only uses this on mondays and you
> can distribute it under the GPL2" then surely recipients from you are
> not bound by +bits. As the author is not distributing to secondary
> users (by definition) he can't put them under those terms

The author isn't distributing, but he is licensing - you don't get the
license from the person who gives you the copy.

So, everyone is getting it under the same license. There is no "original
licensee".

> I can see your point that you might be able to combine it with your
> own code and release as GPL+bits, but if you combined with someone
> elses GPL code you would be adding +bits to a derivation of their
> work, which they forbid.

Sure, but that means that it's not GPL compatible, not non-free or
undistributable.

Cheers,

Alex.