Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Freedom to take freedom

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Freedom to take freedom
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 12:28:48 +0000

On 23/01/2008, Alex Hudson <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 12:04 +0000, Dave Crossland wrote:
> > If I release software with a license in LICENSE.txt and a TERMS.txt
> > that says "You can only use this on Mondays" - it is not free
> > software, and you can receive it from me under those terms because I'm
> > the original licenor, but you can't redistribute it.
>
> Why can't I redistribute it?

Imposing additional restrictions that are not in the GPL means the GPL
"self destructs."

"6.  Each time you redistribute the Program (or any work based on the
Program), the recipient automatically receives a license from the
original licensor to copy, distribute or modify the Program subject to
these terms and conditions. _You may not impose any further
restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted
herein._

7. If for any reason conditions are imposed on you that contradict the
conditions of this License, they do not excuse you from the conditions
of this License. If you cannot distribute so as to satisfy
simultaneously your obligations under this License and other
obligations, then as a consequence _you may not distribute the Program
at all._"

That is my reading of the license, IANAL :-)

(sorry for offlist email, was a mistake)

--
Regards,
Dave