gcc-conf-discuss

Topic suggestions

From: Hans-Peter Nilsson
Subject: Topic suggestions
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 21:51:56 +0200

(Please people, CC your discussions here.)

Raw thoughts, no plan for now to refine them:

I thought of another topic for the conference: optimizations
crossing the border between the compiler and the assembler and
linker (binutils).

Since GCC provides assembly-code, there are some optimizations
that are out of reach and are (if all goes well) performed in
the linker (or more rarely, the assembler).  Should GCC (instead
of the linker) perform inter-object optimizations and how?  The
binutils side is sufficiently covered, I think: lots of people
in the GCC project are also active in the binutils project.  The
goal of the track could be to provide ideas and directions for
future optimizations.  Or maybe this is rather material for a
paper.  I don't know.

And another one:
Maybe it'd be possible to get people representing for the
various GCC CVS development branches to talk about what
optimizations and such they hope to achieve.

brgds, H-P