gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: Invocation history stack size for GCL

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: Invocation history stack size for GCL
Date: 08 Mar 2002 12:01:30 -0500

Greetings, and thanks for your suggestion!

Of course, I think this would be straightforward and advisable.  I'm
posting this to the list, though, as gcl currently relies on many
static "stacks" which have been largely tuned to much older hardware
with less memory.  Ideally, we can make these data structures
dynamic.  As far as I can tell, this would require allocating what gcl
calls a "contblock", a continuous block of pages, through its own gc
memory system, and finding some appropriate lisp type to govern the
relocation during gc, which would basically just move a pointer on the
C stack to the new area.

This will be somewhat involved, and I'm not quite ready for that yet
as there are still some open questions about the current gc, and I
don't want to lose track of where Dr. Schelter left off.

In the mean time, It will be very easy to increase the stack sizes.
Suggestions, preferably from heavy gcl users?  I can list the stacks
here if necessary.

I've already increased one print related stack for someone, and it
seems that we should come up with a comprehensive, as opposed to
piecemeal, approach.

Take care,