Re: [glob2-devel] Checking for nondeterminism

From: Erik Søe Sørensen
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Checking for nondeterminism
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 10:17:20 +0200

Leo Wandersleb skrev:

actually there is a checksum computed over the game state. so as i guess you must have seen that i must have misunderstood. maybe you can explain what exactly you want to compare.

Well, I can't claim that I've read all, or even much, of the documentation - and I haven't touched the networking parts yet (but I found the relevant wikipage just now and am going to).

But I notice that the game state in this case does not include the gradients. Not does it include guardArea, clearArea or canRessourcesGrow. Not that this is not fine and reasonable for normal playing; for serious testing-before-releasing, however, it'd probably be nice to know that also the values which ended up not being used (such as probably most of the gradient value) actually match. After all, each test run should test on behalf of a thousand real network games ;-)

besides that, automated testing with multiple clients on one machine is not yet implemented.

About that: If this is implemented, it would probably be best if it was possible to test two different glob2 binaries against each other... i.e. what is really needed is some way to start a multiplayer game from the command line, and some separate script to set up several versions playing the game on the same machine, using that mechanism.

/Erik