[glob2-devel] Info, Bugs, and Suggestions in recent hg builds

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: [glob2-devel] Info, Bugs, and Suggestions in recent hg builds
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 18:53:26 +0100

Hi,

I am testing the hg default builds. There is some bugs I am reporting here,
because I do not have access to the net (but I have a imapd client).

- First, a nasty bug: game always desynchronise after only some second in LAN
(over Wifi), while with 0.9.2 we have been able to play for hours without any
problem using the same setup.
- Some warriors seem to be too sick to fight but not sick enough to go to
hospital (there is plenty of room in hospitals).
- The blue overlay upgrade info have wrong positioning with respect to new
right menu dimensions. Probably because they do not use the same define as
the other menu elements do.

Now some idea on how to improve user-friendlyness:
- For locales that correspond to completely translated languages (we should
try to have complete translation for releases for at least some languages),
glob2 should by default choose the translated language.

Some additional notes:
- A friend of mine that is new to glob2 has recently played several games. He
is impressed by the quality of Nicowar and its efficiency in development,
however he thinks that the war strategy of Nicowar is too simplistic. Indeed
Nicowar does not attack with waves but rather leaves a flag in the enemy
base. So if the enemy manages to resist the first attack, he could probably
defeat Nicowar because the latter sends its warriors one by one.
- Maybe we should think to have more end of game stats: they are really useful
and improve the gameplay. Moreover, they are not difficult to implement.
- I have updated the french translation. There are several problem I have seen
while doing so:
        - In the settings screens, sizes of buttons are micro-optimised for
        english, that is bad because it really does not work for other
        languages. We should choose a reasonable size and adapt
        each language to fit it.
        - We should remove from translation the strings that are not used
        in the source code, we should do a small script to scan the source
        and update texts.keys.txt. Then we can update check_translations.py
        to remove unused entries in translations.
        - Whenever possible, we should have correct english cases in the
        translation entry, for instance between [options] and [Options]
        (I have fixed this one)
- In the map editor, the menu dialog has extra width wrt the game menu, we
should remove them.

Have a nice day,

Steph

--